I have this plant growing in my back yard, but I'd never heard that compounds from this plant have been used as a cancer treatment.
From AI results in my Google search:
How Vinca Alkaloids Work:
- Vinca alkaloids disrupt the formation of microtubules within cells.
- Microtubules play a crucial role in cell division (mitosis).
- By interfering with microtubule formation, vinca alkaloids effectively halt cell division and can induce apoptosis (programmed cell death) in rapidly dividing cancer cells.
Cytotoxic effect of vinorelbine on cancer cells
Discussion
How did I hear about this?
I typed this into google:
plants that eat cancer
And the first thing that popped up was some blurb with the word "vinca." The word caught my eye right away, because I have that plant in my back yard! (vinca minor).
This is what popped up:
Vinca minor, also known as lesser periwinkle, is a plant species that is not directly used for cancer treatment, but is known for its alkaloid compounds, which have been used in cancer therapy. Specifically, alkaloids derived from the periwinkle plant, Catharanthus roseus (not Vinca minor), are used in chemotherapy. Vincristine, an alkaloid extracted from this plant, is a key component in the treatment of various cancers, including acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL), breast cancer, and others.
PLEASE NOTE it's not clear to me why scientists switched from using the purple periwinkle plant, to the pink one. Again, you can read about the use of the PURPLE (vinca minor) plant in previous anti-cancer therapies, in this PDF. See this part pasted below:
Medical uses
[edit]Vinorelbine is approved for the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer.[5][6] It is used off-label for other cancers such as metastatic breast cancer and for aggressive fibromatosis (desmoid tumor).[7][8] It is also active in rhabdomyosarcoma.[9]
I've done research on periwinkle (vinca minor), and have actually chewed a few leaves, because I read that the vinpocetine (from periwinkle) is used to help you think more clearly. I saw the Vinca Minor (Periwinkle) flower on a bottle of Ginkgo Biloba (sold at Costco)!
It shouldn't surprise me that this plant has strong medicinal effects, because I have a theory that the hardiest (and most invasive) plants make the most powerful medicine. This plant grows like crazy. I once dug up a ton of it and gave it away to a guy from Craigslist who wanted to use it on his hillside for erosion control.
I'd heard about it's use for mental clarity, but I'd never heard anything about it's anti-cancer effects.
Something kinda weird happened during my search. I copied what was came up in the A.I. search, and was just about to paste it into a blog post, when all of a sudden my computer crashed. I got the Blue Screen of Death. True, I have been getting those a lot lately. Often times, more than once a day. But the timing just seemed weird... it popped up literally just as I was about to paste the info.
Luckily, the exact words I searched for were saved in my google history, but guess what. When I clicked on the page in my history, where I did the search, Vinca Minor was nowhere to be found in the search results. It disappeared. I wonder why that would be.
This blurb did pop up, though:
I refreshed the page, and luckily the part about the vinca species did re-appear. For some reason I thought the Vinca alcoloids appeared in the #1 spot, but I could have been wrong. Either way, it was at the top? Oh well. Anyway, here's what came up:
- Taxol (Paclitaxel): Derived from the Pacific yew tree, it is a widely used chemotherapy drug that disrupts microtubule function, inhibiting cancer cell growth and division.
- Vinca Alkaloids (e.g., Vincristine and Vinblastine): Found in the Madagascar periwinkle, these alkaloids are used to treat various cancers, including leukemia and lymphoma, by interfering with cell division.
- Camptothecin: Isolated from the Chinese happy tree, this compound is the basis for drugs like irinotecan and topotecan, which inhibit topoisomerase I, an enzyme essential for DNA replication and repair.
- Curcumin: Found in turmeric, this compound has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-cancer properties, and has shown potential in inhibiting cancer cell growth and inducing apoptosis (programmed cell death).
- Resveratrol: Present in grapes and red wine, this polyphenol has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and has demonstrated anti-cancer effects in various studies.
- Sulforaphane: Found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and kale, this compound has been shown to induce detoxification enzymes and inhibit cancer cell growth.
- Inducing Apoptosis: Triggering programmed cell death in cancer cells.
- Inhibiting Cell Proliferation: Slowing down or stopping the growth of cancer cells.
- Anti-Angiogenesis: Preventing the formation of new blood vessels that tumors need to grow and spread.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Effects: Reducing inflammation and oxidative stress, which are implicated in cancer development and progression.
- The Madagascar periwinkle is the source of several powerful anticancer drugs known as vinca alkaloids, including vinblastine and vincristine.
- These alkaloids are used in chemotherapy to treat a wide variety of cancers, particularly hematological malignancies (cancers of the blood and bone marrow).
- Vinca alkaloids disrupt the formation of microtubules within cells.
- Microtubules play a crucial role in cell division (mitosis).
- By interfering with microtubule formation, vinca alkaloids effectively halt cell division and can induce apoptosis (programmed cell death) in rapidly dividing cancer cells.
- Vinblastine: Used to treat Hodgkin's lymphoma, non-small cell lung cancer, bladder cancer, brain cancer, melanoma, and testicular cancer.
- Vincristine: Used to treat acute leukemia, Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, neuroblastoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma, Wilms' tumor, and other cancers.
Vinorelbine is a semi-synthetic indole alkaloid derived from plant extracts from Vinca minor L. Vincristina was approved for use in cancer chemotherapy in 1963, Vinblastine in 1965, and Vinorelbine in 1994 [Bohannon R.A., 1963]. They have become major components of many combined anticancer regimens, used especially in the treatment of acute leukemia, Hodgkin's disease and other lymphomas, various sarcomas, Wilms tumor, neuroblastoma and breast and lung cancers. Vinca alkaloids are given intravenously, usually at intervals of one or two weeks in cycles with other agents. Vinca alkaloids are available in generic forms and under the trade names Oncovin (vincristine), Velban (vinblastine), Navelbine (vinorelbine) and Oxybral (vincamine) [DeLeve L.D., 2013].
- .This plant species is known for its medicinal properties, including the production of vincamine, which is used as a brain stimulant. While not directly used in cancer treatment, its close relative, Catharanthus roseus (pink periwinkle), is the source of important cancer-fighting drugs.
- .Another alkaloid derived from Catharanthus roseus, vinblastine, is also used in cancer treatment, particularly for Hodgkin's lymphoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, as well as other cancers.
- .Vinca alkaloids, like vincristine and vinblastine, work by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells by preventing the formation of microtubules, which are essential for cell division.
- .Besides vincristine and vinblastine, other vinca alkaloids, such as vindesine and vinorelbine, are also used in cancer treatment. Vinorelbine is particularly used for non-small cell lung cancer.
Cytotoxicity of Vinca minor
Despite the effectiveness of these agents, drug resistance is a major clinical problem (Citation…
The discovery of the vinca alkaloids—chemotherapeutic agents against cancer
in the search for drugs which will be successful in the permanent, effective treatment of cancer…
Vinca alkaloids
alkaloid … [1] The oldest group of the plant alkaloids groups that used to treat cancer are the vinca …
[HTML] The Phytochemical Analysis of Vinca L. Species Leaf Extracts Is Correlated with the Antioxidant, Antibacterial, and Antitumor Effects
… higher doses of extracts are needed for cancer cell inhibition, along with longer exposure. V. …
[PDF] Vinca alkaloid-the second most used alkaloid for cancer treatment-A review
stronger activity on mitotic microtubules than axonal microtubules. It was supposed that less …
Anti-cancer alkaloids of Vinca rosea
associated with compounds with only minor chemical differences, as has been emphasized in …
Actual aspects of anatomical research of medicinal plant material of Vinca minor L
reach very high intracellular concentrations, they disrupt the abnormal growth of cancer cells, …
Vinca minor L. leaf anatomical structure
with creeping and upright stems. As … The homeland of the plant is Europe and Asia Minor. …
Bio-evaluation of untapped alkaloids from vinca minor enriched by methyl-jasmonate-induced stress: an integrated approach
curve based on MTT assay. As shown in [Fig. 2], the data showed that Vinca minor … cancer …
[PDF] Spectrophotometric Studies of Indolic Compounds from Vinca Minor L.
in … lymphomas, various sarcomas, Wilms tumor, neuroblastoma and breast and lung cancers. …
- Cognitive Enhancement: Vinpocetine is often claimed to improve cognitive function, including memory and focus.
- Cerebrovascular Disorders: In some European and Asian countries, it's prescribed for cerebrovascular disorders, including stroke and dementia.
- Improved Blood Flow: Vinpocetine may enhance cerebral blood flow by increasing the availability of glucose and oxygen to the brain.


No comments:
Post a Comment